The price of firewood is always part of the consideration in buying firewood. Price is always a consideration in all purchase decisions. Other factors are the product's quality, service, and or performance. And the second part of it balances it with two other factors. The true measured amount of wood delivered and the quality of the firewood. Our experience and customer reports show a difference in the quality factors. At Bostonfirewood.com, we are focused on a fair price for what we supply and our service, but we are not the cheapest for firewood. Many firewood suppliers know all the variables involved in the factors that go into the price of selling firewood and take advantage of the things you can not see. You very well may not realize what is not there when you get your delivery of firewood for the fireplace. You may not get as much wood as you expect, and more water in the wood that has not been removed. The point is the price is not always everything, and as with many other things, when it is hard to measure things, it is time for the buyer to be aware.
What you can not see when you price firewood
The unseen factors in quality firewood are numerous and should all be considered in your buying decision so you get wood that lights easily, burns well, and provides a lot of heat. All the items below add up to quality kiln-dried firewood; you should think about it because we take care of all these variables for you.
- Quantity ordered vs. Quantity delivered
- The moisture content of the wood
- Heating Efficiency kiln dried wood is three times hotter
- "Seasoned" wood is not a measure it can be a very subjective term
- The dumped pile of seasoned wood vs. Stacked kiln-dried wood
- Piled wood you can not measure; stacked wood you can easily measure
- Wood stored outdoors vs. Wood kiln dried and stored indoors
- What the storage yard looks like muddy vs. Indoors
- What the source of the wood is
- Possible insect infestation kiln dried has none
- Species of wood in the mix that is delivered
- Size the wood is split to not huge chunks or too small - just right (goldy locks)
- Waste random sizes vs. consistent sizes in our kiln-dried wood
- The consistent length the wood is cut to - no short
- Seasoned wood supply runs out Our supply is available all year round
- Supply and demand for alternative use of the cut trees, such as for power, furniture, or flooring and plywood
Seasoned firewood prices in the Boston area can fluctuate greatly based on supplies and how cold the winter is. How the firewood supplier deals with the factors above and measures, the wood to be delivered to you all affects the price. We are not selling seasoned wood, but we hear that the prices quoted for seasoned wood delivered range from $400.00 to $500.00 per cord as a budget number. Naturally, if you are in the market for seasoned wood, you must contact a firewood supplier that handles it.
We know and study all these factors to balance them so you get firewood that burns well. We also take it very seriously to keep a large flow of kiln-dried firewood inventory on hand. Since producing more kiln-dried wood is not as time-dependent as seasoned wood, we can react to increased demand caused by a really cold winter. Seasoned wood supplies have to figure out the demand a year ahead of time or sell whatever they have, even if it is not fully dried.
What you get when you buy Kiln Dried Firewood from Boston Firewood.com
Value, Service, a Fair Price
We are certainly not the least expensive firewood; from customer feedback, we are not the most expensive kiln-dried firewood. The concept is simple: we take care of all the work, so you do not have to be Paul Bunyan like we do on the website's front page. You have to want great burning wood and be willing to call us. We take care of all the details from there. That is why we call it concierge firewood service from "Forest to Fireplace." We take care of all the details from the tree growing in the forest until it reaches your home. It starts with four crews harvesting wood for multiple uses and selecting the right size, species, and condition of the wood out of this stream of trees to process for firewood. Processing the firewood means cutting the selected logs to 16" lengths +/- and splitting them into medium-sized pieces. From here on, the wood is never on the bare ground again. It is loaded into the kiln and heated to an interior temperature of 175 degrees to kill insects. The moisture content is reduced to less than 20%, so it burns well and then is piled in an indoor shed before being trucked to our Firewood supply yard in Boston.
When it gets to Boston, it is immediately loaded into the warehouse to keep it dry before delivery to the customer. When you call for wood, it is loaded on the truck and delivered to you The price we quote includes delivery. There will be an additional charge for the stacking service if you want it. When you call and talk to Paul, he will quote the cost for stacking before delivery. Over the phone, Paul will want to know if there are elevators, multiple flights of stairs, or special instructions. The bottom line is that you get quantifiable value in the firewood you get from us. We take the work out of getting firewood that lights easily, burns well, and does not make a lot of smoke for a warm ambiance in your home. This site is set up to show you the product and the process of how we do what we do. So you can see for yourself. Details of what is in the price are below.
When you buy our kiln-dried firewood, you get the following:
- Kiln-dried mixed native hardwoods
- Computer-monitored moisture content when in the kiln for consistency
- Moisture content is about 20% or less, not the loose term of "Seasoned," which is often stretched
- Computer-controlled with 24-hour monitoring of the drying process till the wood is at an optimal moisture content
- Because it is dry, it lights and burns well
- More energy-efficient firewood since the water has been removed
- More BTU's in the wood
- Less water means less smoke
- Less smoke means cleaner air and creosote formation is minimized
- less creosote, so there are fewer chimney problems
- Absolutely ready to burn the day it is delivered
- The size of wood selected to be split is uniform and straight
- consistent quality year round we make it to the same standards
- The kiln does the drying is not guesswork and eliminates the vagaries of time and weather
- Our Price is consistent with no seasonal change based on others being out of dried wood
- Stored indoors at all times after it leaves the kiln, not in a muddy wood lot.
- The firewood is free of dirt and mud
- Can be stored inside
- Bug-Free: the heat of the kiln kills any bugs in the wood
- Length of our firewood. All pieces are cut as close to 16" as possible; this is not the only length we handle
- Custom cuts are available in length divisible by 16. Information on our custom cuts.
- Lights easily
- Burns brighter
- A carbon-neutral fuel
- A renewable resource and a by-product of the lumber industry to reduce waste
- With each order of firewood that is delivered, we include the Boston Firewood starter kit (a box of long wood matches, tumbleweed firestarters, a box of hardwood kindeling)
For some, there is value in paying more for kiln-dried wood delivered stacked where you want. It all depends on your situation. When people burn our wood, they are impressed with how it burns and the convenience. So these are the differences. There is nothing wrong with seasoned firewood. It is just a different product. It burns differently and is priced differently. If you are looking for full cords of wood to heat a house for the season, it would make dollars and cents to consider lower-priced seasoned wood. We do have customers who buy our wood for home heating and find it worth the price. On the opposite side of the price, scale is bundled firewood sold at a gas station that often is a bundle that is .65 cubic feet to .75 cubic feet for about 6 to $7.00 per bundle picked up at a gas station or big box store. So you carry as much as possible in your car for wood-burning needs. Buying wood this way can come up to about $1,300.00 per cord of wood, and you do the hauling and stacking, but again, the issue is "convenience" and space. Not sure? We suggest you buy a quarter cord of wood. We guarantee the quality, and you get a fair sampler to see for yourself.
Quantities of Firewood we sell
Based on your firewood burning habits and the amount of space you have available to store firewood, we sell our kiln-dried wood in the following sizes.
- A third of a cord would measure 8 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 16 inches deep, resulting in about 42.66 cubic feet of firewood
- Half a cord that would measure 4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 4 feet deep, resulting in 64 cubic feet of firewood
- A full cord that measures 8 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 4 feet deep, resulting in 128 cubic feet of firewood
- We are offering a quarter cord for people to test the difference between seasoned wood fires and fires built with kiln-dried firewood.
For a price on kiln-dried firewood, please do one of three things: call us at 1-781-254-2773 , e-mail us from our contact page, or fill out the form below, and we will quickly get back to you with a price for our firewood delivered.